By: Mrs. Mathis
Image by David Steltz In order to fix stinky shoes, you need to know what makes them stinky in the first place. Know how to wash smelly shoes will be easier to understand if you know what you are trying to wash out. You will also want to know how to remove smell from shoes that can’t be washed. In addition to professional products, there are many home remedies to remove odors from shoes. Overall, eliminating smell from shoes is pretty easy once you know what you are doing.
Understand How You Get Stinky Shoes
The primary cause of bad smelling shoes is bacteria from sweat and cells that daily rub off by the millions from your feet into your shoes. If you eliminate the bacteria, you will eliminate the smell.
You can avoid having to fix stinky shoes at all by wearing one or two pair of absorbent, cotton socks every time you wear athletic shoes. The socks will give the bacteria somewhere to go beside the lining of your shoes, eliminating smell from shoes.
How To Wash Smelly Shoes, Eliminating Smell From Shoes
Fix stinky shoes easily by throwing them in the washing machine on regular with cool water. Then tumble them dry on medium heat or allow them to air dry in a cool space where they won’t sour. You can also dry them outdoors on a bright, sunny day.
How To Remove Smell From Shoes That Cannot Be Washed: Home Remedies To Remove Odors From Shoes
There are numerous home remedies to remove odors from shoes that can’t be washed but these are a few of my favorites.
- Always allow shoes to air out overnight after you wear them. This method will often fix stinky shoes, especially if you let the shoes air outdoors in sunshine and fresh air.
- Sprinkle the inside of the shoes with a little baking soda. Allow the soda to stay in until the next time you wear them.
- Stuff the shoes with newspaper. The newsprint will absorb both moisture and odor.
- Some cat litter tied in a piece of old stocking and placed inside is good at eliminating the smell from shoes.
- If the shoes are not leather, try putting them in the freezer overnight. The cold will kill any bacteria.